Saturday, November 14, 2009

House Gecko

The house gecko, or common house gecko, was introduced to Hawaii about the time of World War II. I lived in Hawaii from 1975 to 1976, both in my parents home on the Pali Highway, and in the dorms at BYU-Hawaii. My mother loved the little geckos that would be found on the walls and ceilings of their home in the evenings. As she pointed out, they didn't harm anyone and they ate insects and spiders. In October 1993, I had an opportunity to go back to Hawaii with my family. My parents were back in Hawaii, this time in a home on the beach in Hauula, near Laie. We stayed with them several days and Judy and the children got introduced to the cute little geckos. I got photos of a couple of them.
I would love to spend some more time in Hawaii to see them again (and just be in Hawaii again).

1 comment:

  1. I would love to be in Hawaii again too... Great Memories!!! Along with geckos, one of my favorite animal related activities was keeping a koi pond and catching crayfish in the streams on the weekends with friends, boiling them, and dipping the tails in spiced butter.

    ReplyDelete