Friday, January 8, 2010

Blue and Gold Macaw

When we traveled to Peru last February we had an excursion into the Peruvian rain forest to Lake Sandoval, a three or four mile walk in from the Madre de Dios River below Puerto Maldonado. We were caught in a deluge which gave us a great example of what the term "rain forest" means. We had constant rain for several hours. While walking back from the lake, I heard the unmistakable sound of macaws, a sound I recall from zoos and from the macaw my sister, Wendy, has. I spotted several in a tree not far from the dirt road we were walking on.

It was a real thrill to see and hear them in the wild. A close-up of the macaw above.



Below, two macaws in the same tree.


A closeup of the macaw on the left.


A closeup of the macaw on the right.


Our rain forest experience in Peru was my favorite part of the trip and the macaws were a very neat part of that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment