Thursday, January 13, 2011

Salmon Collar (Sake Kama)

The salmon collar is located between the gills and first fin and is the ring of cartilage and flesh connecting the head and body of the salmon. 
It contains a little more fat than the rest of the salmon and when broiled or grilled, is very juicy and tender. Most recipes I could find on-line  suggest seasoning the raw salmon collar with salt and pepper and then grilling or broiling it very close to the top of the broiler. It is more fatty than yellowtail collar and has less of a bone structure (at least in a comparison of the yellowtail collar and salmon collar I tried).
 At the restaurant I tried it at, it was $3.50, cheaper than the nigiri on the menu and it provided much more fish than the nigiri. It is about half the price of  yellowtail collar (which was $6.50 at the same restaurant) and I didn't like the yellowtail collar as well, although yellowtail collar is generally considered more desirable. The first two pictures, above, show each side of the broiled collar and the picture below is a close-up of one of the juicier pieces. 
Just to look at it gets me salivating. I think I may regularly choose it as part of a selection of rolls and nigiri when ordering at a sushi restaurant in the future. 

3 comments:

  1. Salmon kama is stunningly good but I like hamachi kama a bit better. I like salmon belly better too. I actually love salmon skin better too... ha, but don't get me wrong, I still love the kama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man...GiGi....you nailed it! You have it down girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gigi didnt nail it she needs to be schooled by a master such as myself!

    G

    ReplyDelete