Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ground Kangaroo Hash

I purchased a pound of ground kangaroo from Charlie Brown Farms in Littlerock, California. 
I'd previously had kangaroo medallions, which were okay, not great, and I thought the ground meat, with some additional add-ins, would be a fun variation. I was cooking a goose at the same time and added the goose liver and kidney (but not the pictured neck) to the meat. 
I put some olive oil and cut-up red pepper, garlic cloves, turnips and onion to a frying pan and partially cooked it, then added the meat 
and cooked it all together. 
and
For the same meal, Judy had prepared a potato casserole, with shredded potato, that was good on its own, but fantastic when added to the kangaroo mixture. The kangaroo is quite lean, but mixed with the vegetables and potato, it added a nice texture and flavor. 
Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the potato casserole. We had the LDS missionaries over for dinner, one in particular, from Fiji, who was an adventurous eater. In fact, he detected the taste of the liver and asked if some was included. I sheepishly admitted it was, because I knew the other missionary did not like liver, but figured it was diluted enough it would go undetected. They were thrilled to try the unusual meat and it made it a meal for them to remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment