Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bright Star Thai Vegan: Rancho Cucamonga

For my birthday, with my restricted vegan diet, we decided to eat at Bright Star Thai Vegan located at 9819 Foothill Blvd, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 (909-980-9797). 
I got the Bright Star Soup which contains wonton, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, baby bok choy, carrots, mushrooms, napa cabbage, baby corn, celery, onions and tofu. 
It was very, very good. The vegetables were a nice medium between soft and crisp, still containing some body. The vegetable broth had some flavor, but was not overly salty, and the wontons were nice and soft and contained a filling of mixed vegetables. The soup, by itself, would make a great lunch and I would like to go back and get it again. The Thai Yellow Curry contained coconut milk, which ordinarily is not on my strict diet, and I know why, because it is so wonderfully sweet and smooth, something that good can't be good for you. It also contained large pieces of potato that I cut up into smaller pieces and peas and carrots that I've not normally found in yellow curries. 
I really liked them as an addition. I had a few pieces of the tofu, which was okay, but next time I'll probably try the soy chicken, pork or beef. I left most of the tofu, but ate all of the vegetables and coconut milk. I had steamed brown rice on the side and ate it all, covered with the sweet curry. Yum. Between the soup and curry, I was stuffed. I got my curry ala carte, but Judy got her Thai Green Curry as part of a dinner special, that also included a spring roll, salad, fried brown rice and miso soup. 
The green curry had bamboo shoots, bell pepper and basil leaf and was good, but not as good as my yellow curry. I also got more of the curry itself, ala carte, than she got as part of the dinner special. We liked it very much as a vegan option and will go back.

As of this update, on October 20, 2012, I've been back to Bright Star Thai Vegan an additional five or six times. It is my favorite vegan restaurant in San Bernardino County and I think has the best curry I've had anywhere. It is a little sweeter than other curries I've had. I particularly like the yellow curry, but with extra vegetables instead of tofu. I recently tried the pineapple curry with extra vegetables,
pineapple curry
instead of tofu, and it was sweet, with a nice bite to it. I always have the curry and I always get the Bright Star soup which is absolutely delicious. I've been with others who have ordered other things, and so far nothing is going to break me away from my traditional order. I've had the steamed dumplings 
steamed dumplings with mixed vegetables
which are stuffed with vegetables and they are basically the same dumpling that is in the Bright Star soup, so get the soup. The coconut palm juice
is syrupy and sweet and I like it a lot as well. I've tried both the carrot cake and coconut cake. 
coconut cake
Both are just okay, the coconut a little better, but not something I'd get again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment