Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Goat Ribeye

As I was going through the freezers at Exotic Meat Market looking for fun meats to try I came across a package labeled "Bakri Ribeye Steaks". My initial thought was that bakri must be some kind of deer or antelope I'd not heard of. Anshu, the proprietor, told me they were goat steaks, from a goat raised at his ranch. They looked interesting so I picked them up. 
I got home and found out that "bakri" is Urdu for goat. Urdu is spoken in Pakistan and India, so I assume that Urdu is the language (or one of the languages) Anshu spoke in India. Normally goat can be very tough and dry unless prepared carefully and cooked slowly. However, I figured that this was a nice cut of meat and would do nicely grilled if not over-cooked. 
I cooked it on indirect heat on our outdoor grill and it turned out great. Goat has a much richer and stronger flavor than beef. It was a little tougher than an equivalent piece of steak, but the flavor was much better. 

Judy regularly gets goat curry when we visit Indian or Pakistani restaurants and I usually get lamb. Invariably her dish is better than mine, so I've decided I'm going to take goat choices more often. 

2 comments:

  1. I love goat and wish it were available more often here in the US. Your version of goat ribeye was wonderful--pretty tender and very flavorful. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that you both recommend goat over lamb. I can't say I've ever seen it on a menu.

    ReplyDelete