Sunday, December 11, 2016

Emu Salami

I've been so impressed with the salami sold by Exotic Meat Market that I had to try some more. Next was a meat I've not tried: emu. I've had emu egg, but never emu meat. 
An emu at Fossill Rim Wildlife Center outside Dallas. The emu is the second largest bird and can weigh up to 130 pounds. 
I was shocked to see how dark it is. I anticipated light meat, like a turkey or goose. But it was nearly as dark and purply looking as the river otter salami
This is all part of one stick of emu salami. 
A few weeks later I had to buy some emu tenderloin to confirm that the emu meat was really that dark (a later post will cover that). 
Emu tenderloins.
The emu salami was stronger tasting than the emu tenderloin, par for salami in general, but the flavor is good and not over-powering. 

1 comment:

  1. It's not just dark, it's purple. I kept hoping that didn't mean it had gone bad. It tasted okay, so I figured we were safe, but you never know...

    ReplyDelete