Saturday, January 14, 2017

Peggy Sue's Diner - Yermo, CA

I've been driving between Utah and California at least several times a year for 33 years. I've looked at Peggy Sue's Diner virtually every time and wondered what it was all about. But it was not until late last year that I actually visited and ate there, twice in a period of two weeks. 

Peggy Sue's is located in Yermo, a few miles west of the agriculture station that checks cars for fruits and vegetables coming into California. It is also near the Yermo Annex of the Marine Corps Logistics Base, Calico Ghost Town and the Fort Irwin Army National Training Center. But most of that stuff is all but invisible. Peggy Sue's looks like it is situated a few miles from nowhere. 

I must admit I've become a fan. It sits along a horrible long stretch of stressful road, where cars drive 90 miles an hour, bumper to bumper, and cut in and out of heavy traffic in an effort to get to Las Vegas, or Los Angeles in the opposite direction. And it is so much easier then battling the traffic and horrible food in Barstow and Baker, which bookend it, albeit quite a few miles in opposite directions.  

The food is kind of breakfast focused, very reasonably priced and not bad, not bad at all. My first visit I tried a New York steak, hash browns, two eggs over-easy and biscuits and gravy. It is better than Denney's and the atmosphere is much more fun. 

On my second visit I tried the chicken-fried steak, hash browns and eggs. That was kind of the reason I came back. The waitress the first time said that chicken-fried steak was their specialty. I've never been interested in even trying chicken-fried steak. I had a mental image of a very dull and very dry breaded piece of chicken. I was surprised to learn that it is actually steak, pounded out, coated in seasoned flour and pan-fried. Because of that image, I ordered it medium rare. I don't think I ever need to have another one, but it was much better than I envisioned. It actually had a little pink in it and it was thicker and more steaky than I thought it would be. But it is still no match for a New York or a ribeye. 

A view inside the chicken-fried steak.
The other thing that really makes Peggy Sue's is the themed store and the pond and dinosaur exhibit out back. A great place to stretch-out the legs. I suspect I'll be back.  






3 comments:

  1. Classic diner food, fatty, greasy, and tasty. I don't suppose you could order fresh fruit or a good salad there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 50's diner, why would you want to order fresh fruit or a salad? It should be enjoyed it for what it is so you can soak up the atmosphere and indulge!

      Delete
  2. But fatty food is good when you need the energy to run from the backyard dinosaur.

    ReplyDelete